Restraining Orders

A Restraining Order (or RO, referred to legally as a 209A) is an order of the court forbidding the Defendant from contacting the Plaintiff (a person who brings a case against another in a court of law) and/or from coming within a certain proximity of the Plaintiff’s residence and/or workplace. This restriction may even apply to the Plaintiff’s children, who, in fact, may be the Defendant’s as well.

What are the Criteria for a Restraining Order?

There must have been either the immediate threat of violence or actual violence itself. In addition, the two people must be either family (husband, wife, son, daughter, etc.), involved in a relationship (boyfriend/girlfriend, roommates, etc.) or have previously had a relationship, such as a former boyfriend/girlfriend, or former roommate, etc.

Generally, the judge will initially put a Restraining Order into effect for about 10 days. At that time, the Defendant can come into court (he/she can come in for the first hearing if he/she knows about it) and object to it. The judge then has the option to extend the order for a year or any other period of time, or even for life, depending upon the circumstances. Of course, if the expiration date arrives and the Plaintiff does not show up, the Restraining Order becomes null and void. Also, at any time, the Plaintiff can go into court and request that the RO, or any part of it, be withdrawn.

What is the effect of an RO on the Defendant?

Besides a restriction on his/her movement (e.g., the Defendant must not come within so many feet of the plaintiff’s residence or workplace, whether on foot or in a car), the Defendant may have to surrender firearms, or be denied an FID card in the future. He/she will also have the RO on his/her criminal record, usually for the rest of their life, and may even be listed on a national register. Also, as mentioned before, a violation of any provision of the RO can lead to a criminal complaint.

Do I need legal counsel for a Restraining Order?

Simply stated, yes. Whether it was issued for good cause or not, the Defendant must abide by the conditions of the RO, as long as it is in effect. That is why it is usually advisable for the Defendant to appear in court on the next date on the RO to hear what is said and to object if anything is improper. It is also advisable that the Defendant be represented by a knowledgeable attorney, who is very familiar with ROs, to protect his/her rights and argue against the issuance of the order, if necessary. If there is or was no relationship between the parties, they are not relatives or there was no violence or threat of immediate violence, the attorney should be able to convince the judge not to issue the order.

Sometimes, whether it is true or not, the Defendant will be accused of violating the order and criminally charged with a violation of the RO. These charges are very serious and could result in incarceration. No matter what the case, you should be represented by an experienced criminal defense attorney at a hearing to issue a RO and at an arraignment, pre-trial conference, compliance & election or trial for violation of the order.


I am available 24/7.




“Dear Attorney Savitz, Thank you for representing me in court. Everything worked out for the better. I have been attending all my AA meetings, consulting at Catholic Charities and meeting with my probation officer. I haven’t had a drink since the day I went to court and everything is great at home. Remember, if you ever get a scratch on your car, give me a call!”


Call us at (781) 326-2700 or fill out the contact form below.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
One of my clients said this:

"I just wanted to thank you one more time for everything you have done for me and my family. I am so fortunate to have met such an understanding and caring person. The past few years have been a living hell and I cannot tell you how much it meant to me to have you standing by my side the entire time. Your selflessness and generosity have not gone unnoticed and I owe you a debt that can never be re-paid. If there is anything I can ever do for you, please let me know. Again, I thank you and I couldn’t have chosen a better attorney."
5 / 5 stars 
Copyright 2020 Elliot Savitz. All rights reserved.